Monday, December 23, 2013

Life Walk: An Envisionment of My Career Path

Confucius said, “If you love what you do, then you will never have to work a day in your life.” This is something I believe. I do not want to work at a job that I hate and do it every day for the rest of my work life. Why continue a life like that? This is one of the reasons why I am at college. I want to focus on my education which will hopefully help me succeed in the work field that I would love to go into in the future.
I am eighteen years old and live in Raynham, Massachusetts which is one town over from where my college is located. I am a full time student here at Bridgewater State. I am a commuter living at home and I go through the morning traffic and excess of traffic lights almost every morning like the hundreds of other commuters. My graduating class is the Class of 2017, making me a freshman.  Bristol-Plymouth Regional Technical School was where I went to high school. There, I studied Computer Information Technology. In CIT, we learn office procedures and etiquette, Microsoft Office suite and proper formatting of documents and PowerPoints and the basics of HTML and web design. In graduated in June earlier this year.
As of the moment, I am currently unemployed. But occasionally, I help my father load cords of firewood which he then sells. I do not like to do this. This goes back to the quote by Confucius I mentioned earlier. I do not want to this for the rest of my work life. College can help me gain the knowledge and the connections I may need for my future profession. I do sometimes assist at an Ace Hardware during the summer on Mondays and worked at a breakfast dinner as a busboy for a few days, since there was a conflict with their hours and my school schedule. Because I do not work, my parents pay for my gas and food with money I would have received from loading wood. Sometimes I have to take money out of account at the bank when I really need money, which is not fun.
My major here is Communication Studies. I have a concentration in Film, Video & Media Studies. My passion is in filmmaking because of the fact that I am a cinephile, a person with an interest in cinema. I love movie of old that my grandmother always describes me as an “old soul”. I hope to become a film director. A film director is in charge of creating the motion picture (OOH). He makes most of the creative decisions along with the other members of the crew. The director also works with directly with the cast. (OOH) The median pay varies according to the type of movie and studio, but the average provided by the Occupational Outlook Handbook is $68,440 per year or $32.90 an hour. Of course a director can make a film within a couple of weeks and they may only do one a year. While education is not a necessity, a bachelor’s degree most certainly helps. You mostly need one to five years work experience before becoming a director (OOH)
The cost of my attendance to learn this profession is $18,108 for the 2013-2014 year alone. Thankfully, I received the Abigail Adams scholarship, which was one of the factors that cemented my coming to Bridgewater. It provides me with $5,605. The tuition alone is $910 a year. I calculated that I pay $98.31 a day in tuition. If this calculation is correct, that means will spend $50,084 for all four years here. I did receive advising from my advisor, Jason Edwards. The appointment was on December 4th and it was mostly help with choosing classes for next semester and help with our program InfoBear. He showed me how to look up the available classes and how to register for them and what I need to take for the next semester. He helped me get set up on my next semester and he did it with a good sense of humor.

After school, I hope that will already have a part time job, in order to earn money for myself and for gas. Recently I learned about a movie studio that has recently opened here in New England, titled New England Studios, located near Fort Devens. I could possibly try to work there. Anything is a possibility. Before I become a director, I hope to possibly work on my scriptwriting. Into the future, I do not know what I will be doing, but I do know that I will hopefully be directing. Something that I always wanted to do is travel, and being a director, you can go to many different locations in various countries. It is an unpredictable type of future but I think that works with my job and personality quite well.

Works Cited
"NEStudios Chronicle Segment." Vimeo. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Dec. 2013.
"Summary." U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, n.d. Web. 10 Dec. 2013.
Voorhis, Scot Van. "Film Studio Is Ready for Its Close-up." BostonGlobe.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Dec. 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment